National Women’s History Month: Our Weekly Celebration of Impactful LGBTQIA+ Women
Mar 01, 2021 | Tim Marshall
Here at Seattle Pride, we are passionate about finding excuses to revere the pioneers who have brought us to our present day. As members of the LGBTQIA+ community, we recognize that we constitute a wide and wonderful web of varied experiences and identities, and with that we must celebrate figures who have paved the way in furthering representation and justice for us all.
Long story short, this month it is our honor and duty to spotlight the fierce and fabulous women who have earned their places in history. Each Monday in National Women’s History Month, we look forward to sharing the legacies of LGBTQIA+ figures who brought us to where we are today.
Our profiles will include:
- Silvia Rivera - trans and queer rights activist
- Michaela Cole - actor, screenwriter, director
- Vaginal Davis - performance artist
- Megan Rapinoe - Olympic athlete, pay equity advocate
But these women don’t begin to scratch the surface of the multi-faceted and transcendent women who we should honor not just in March, but every day. In addition to these profile, we encourage you to learn about:
- Sharice Davids - U.S. Representative
- Audre Lorde - poet, author, critical feminist, critical race theorist
- Tammy Baldwin - U.S. Senator
- Chelsea Manning - anti-war activist
- Marsha P. Johnson - LGBTQIA+ rights activist, drag performer
- Jospehine Baker - entertainer, French spy
- Virginia Woolf - author, critical feminist
- Frida Kahlo - artist
- Nancy Cárdenas - playwright
- Stormé DeLarverie - activist, singer, drag king
- Barbara Jordan - first Black woman in Texas State Senate
- Andrea Jenkins - first openly transgender Black woman in public office
- Lauri Lightfoot - Chicago mayor
- Ellen DeGeneres - comedian, actor
- Jane Addams - women’s rights activist, social worker
- Sally Ride - first woman in space
...And many more! Stay tuned for our incoming spotlight stories and don’t forget to celebrate a woman in your life - this month and every month.
Register for the 2023 Seattle Pride Parade!
February 27, 2023
What non-profits to gift this Season of Giving
December 14, 2022
Transgender Day of Remembrance
November 18, 2022
What is the situation facing LGBTQ folks in Ukraine — and how can we help?
June 27, 2022
What to Know About STD Awareness Week
April 13, 2022
Transgender Day of Visibility: March 31, 2022
March 30, 2022
Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week 2022 - Learn more with Vesta
February 20, 2022
MLK Day 2022 - Ways to Give Back
January 17, 2022
Non-profits to support this Season of Giving
December 27, 2021
2022 LGBTQIA+ Holidays & Remembrances
December 27, 2021
November 08, 2021
Happy Intersex Awareness Day!
October 25, 2021
Happy National Women’s Equality Day!
August 26, 2021
International Drag Day!
July 16, 2021
Kataluna Enriquez Becomes the First Trans Woman to Compete in Miss USA!
June 30, 2021
Happy Juneteenth! Let’s Celebrate by Supporting Black Creators
June 19, 2021
Remembering LGBTQ veterans on Memorial Day
May 31, 2021
Capitol Hill Pride Announcement Response Statement from Seattle Pride
May 21, 2021
Seattle Pride Responds to Chauvin Verdict
April 20, 2021
Spotlight No 4: Vaginal Davis
March 17, 2021
Spotlight No 3: Megan Rapinoe
March 15, 2021
Spotlight No 2: Michaela Coel
March 08, 2021
Spotlight No 1: Sylvia Rivera
March 01, 2021
U.S. House of Representatives passes the Equality Act!
February 25, 2021
A Brief Chronology of Presidential LGBTQIA+ Civil Rights Achievements
February 15, 2021
Biden Signs Executive Order to Enforce LGBTQ+ Employment Equality
January 21, 2021
Inauguration Day 2021: Welcome Biden-Harris to the White House!
January 19, 2021
Seattle Pride Celebrates Pope Francis' Support of LGBTQIA+ Civil Unions
October 21, 2020